The month of June marks Pride Month, which is dedicated to celebrating the LGBT+ community worldwide. This includes people who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, intersex, non-binary, asexual, polysexual, genderqueer and gender variant.
Pride Month is about teaching tolerance, celebrating progress, educating pride history and continuing to strive for LGBT+ equal rights. It’s about being proud of who you are no matter who you love.
Pride is held every year in June to mark the anniversary of the Stonewall riots. These were a series of protests which occurred in New York, sparked after the police attempted to raid the Stonewall Inn, a popular gay bar on 28th June 1969. A year on, the first Pride event took place in New York, followed by events around the world in the years following.
What does Pride mean to us at Premier?
Premier’s Diversity and Inclusivity Team meets regularly to discuss and support initiatives to ensure that we provide a framework, alongside HR polices, that provides support and cares about all our colleagues without bias (including unconscious) whatever their gender, disability, religion, age and sexual orientation.
We do this by:
- Celebrating individuals and communities within Premier through events like ‘International Women’s Week’ and ‘Pride’.
- Treating everyone, as we would want ourselves and families to be treated.
- Showing our colleagues we will support them, and listening to them when they need to talk.
- Feeling good to be part of a company that cares, and importantly, the legacy we leave.
How is Premier celebrating Pride?
Here are some of the highlights of what we’re doing this month to celebrate Pride:
- Spotlight Series – the Diversity and Inclusivity team are circulating interesting LGBT+ facts and a history of Pride timeline to all employees every week in June.
- Ones to Watch – each week the team are sharing their favourite LGBT+ themed films for employees to go away and enjoy.
- We’re running a Photo Competition – encouraging employees to showcase their individuality by sending in photos to be shared on the staff intranet!
- We will be running a fun Pride Month themed quiz.
- We will be providing information on “How to “Be An Ally” to the LGBT+ community.
- We have changed our company logo on email footers and social media to support Pride Month.
- We will have discussions on how we align Pride to the Premier values.
- We will be hosting a Premier chat: Martin’s “My Journey and It’s OK to ask!”
Make sure you keep an eye on our LinkedIn and Twitter this month, as the team will be sharing what Pride Month means to them…